The Best Principles of How
To Lower Blood Pressure
...are not easy. You might be among the 26% worrying about how to lower blood pressure and don’t really need to. On the other hand a considerable majority of people could benefit from knowing how to lower blood pressure and instituting some of those methods. Let’s go over these concepts.
Does your BP really need lowering?
If you have read this website’s Homepage you would know that 26% of abnormal blood pressures taken by someone else are false elevations. This phenomenon disappears when you take your own blood pressure. See this page for sure for how and why HowTo Take Blood Pressure
Should you learn how to lower blood pressure anyhow?
Even if your pressure is fine is there any advantage to instituting lowering measures?The answer is below but first compare your pressure to these accepted values:
Blood Pressure Classification
| 115 || 75 || Desirable |
| 120-139 || 80-89 || Prehypertension |
| 140-159 || 90-99 || Hypertension Stage 1 |
| 160 or over || 100 or over || Hypertension Stage 2 |
If you are in any category but desirable the benefit is obvious. If you are fortunate enough to be in the desirable category you can still benefit because: Instituting some principles of how to lower blood pressure can postpone or prevent the development of undesirable blood pressure. Naturally, the more you do the more postponement you get!
Don't forget, we each have a 90% chance of having high blood pressure in our lifetime. It's when, not if.
How to lower blood pressure:
- EXERCISE. This is my favorite because you get lots of other benefits also. It really works. One cardiologist wrote that it’s the closest thing to the fountain of youth.
- WEIGHT LOSS. One of the most effective. Can eliminate your problem all by itself. Also one of the most difficult. Become the envy of all your friends.
- DIET. Just by eating the right foods even without losing weight you can lower blood pressure. See High Blood Pressure Diet
- SALT (SODIUM). Salt has a strong ability to raise blood pressure and the reduction of your intake of salt has a strong ability to lower it. Shoot for 1500 mg per day. This might be the easiest (or least difficult) of all these measures.
- POTASSIUM. Smaller ability to lower. Not something to take up on your own. Decide this with your doctor. Too much or not enough are both critical to your heart’s rhythm.
- ALCOHOL. Limit your intake to two drinks per day. More than three elevates pressure.
- FISH OIL SUPPLEMENTATION. This works if you tolerate the GI side effects. Eat fish.
- CALCIUM. This works to some extent. Other benefits especially for women.
- NATURAL REMEDIES (Herbs, supplements). The right substances in the right dosage have a good chance of helping by a substantial amount. See COMING PAGE
Doctor’s Practical Guide:
Smoking cessation does not have much effect but who wants lung cancer, emphysema, etc.
Magnesium is not a real player. Neither is caffeine.
All of the above principles of how to lower blood pressure are not pharmaceuticals. Why not reduce, postpone or prevent undesirable blood pressure by measures that carry almost no risk at all? Nor much cost?
How will you know if a measure is working to lower your blood pressure? By learning how to take it yourself. No other way is practical. See how and why at HowTo Take Blood Pressure
The Big four, Exercise, Diet, Weight Loss and Salt,are too much to institute all at once. Just make a start. Pick some things you can do and gradually add to your program as you go along. Persistence wins over everything else in the long run. The more you do the longer will be your run.
Follow this page, How to lower Blood Pressure. with the Homepage